Vietnamese Noodle Salad
Ready in 20 minutes | Serves 6
- 1/2 stick lemongrass, outer layer removed and roughly chopped 1 long red chilli 6 cloves garlic
- 2 whole limes juiced 2 tbspns sesame oil 100 ml fish sauce 1 tbspn sugar 75ml water
- 1/2 Chinese Cabbage or wombok finely shredded 1 cup grated green papaya (remove seeds first) 1 Lebanese cucumber, seeds removed and finely sliced 1 bunch shallots, finely chopped
- 1 pack rice vermicelli noodles, cooked in boiling water for 2 mins and then rinsed under cold water 1 tbspn sesame seeds, roasted in a saucepan until starting to brown Handful of chopped roasted peanuts
- 1/4 bunch each coriander, mint and Vietnamese mint 1 long red chilli finely chopped
Roughly crush the garlic and then place in a container to blend with a bamix after adding chilli, lemongrass and oil. Add fish sauce, lime juice and sugar and blend. Taste then add half water gradually tasting as you go and stopping if dressing becomes too watery. Taste and add sugar, fish sauce and lime juice if neccesary. Put aside
Mix noodles, shallots, cabbage and cucumber add half of dressing and mix well. Taste and add more dressing to taste. This salad can be made a few hours in advance. Mix through peanuts, sesame seeds and herbs at last minute and chopped red chilli to taste.
Recipe courtesy of Wiffens.